Now that summer has arrived and you’ve been running the air conditioning more frequently, have you noticed that there’s more dust in your home than usual? Or is there a strange smell lingering with all the windows closed? It may be time to have your air ducts cleaned.
Professional air duct cleaning can make your home feel healthier and more comfortable. The cost of air duct cleaning can vary based on a few factors, including how dirty the ducts are, the size of your home, the accessibility of the ductwork, and the credentials of the professional.
Benefits of air duct cleaning
Air duct cleaning is the process of removing dust, pet dander, mold spores, and other contaminants from your ductwork. Over time, these particles can build up inside the ducts and circulate throughout your home when the air conditioning (or furnace) runs. By vacuuming or scrubbing out the ducts, professional cleaning deliver several benefits:
- Making the air in your home feel cleaner and healthier
- Reducing allergens and other airborne health risks
- Reducing dust that settles around your home
- Removing odors caused by mildew or other microorganisms
- Improving airflow and efficiency of your system
How much does air duct cleaning cost?
An air duct cleaning professional will give you a quote for service. Here are a few factors that may affect the final price.
- Condition of your ducts. If your ducts are extremely dirty, they may require more intensive service and special equipment, increasing the cost. That’s why we recommend having your ducts cleaned on a regular schedule to prevent excessive build-up and make cleaning more affordable.
- Size of your home. Air duct cleaning is often quoted by the number of supply vents. So, the bigger your house, the more supply vents you will likely have. But the quantity of ductwork isn’t the only factor, which leads us to the next point.
- Accessibility of ducts. If your ductwork is easy to reach, that makes the job simpler (and less expensive). However, if it takes extra time or effort to access the ducts, that could increase the price.
- Experience and credentials of the cleaners. These days, many contractors offer cheap service, but you will likely get what you pay for. If air duct cleaning is done incorrectly, you could experience MORE dust in your home, along with potentially damaged ductwork. When researching air duct cleaning companies, ask about their experience, references, insurance, inspection process, and the guidelines they follow.